Why is My Faucet Leaking?
August 23, 2023
You’re home alone. It’s quiet. Except for the steady “drip, drop, drip, drop” coming from the bathroom sink. No, you’re not in a horror movie. But that leaking faucet might as well be a leaking bank account. Now that is something to be afraid of. Maybe a leaky faucet won’t turn you into a pauper overnight, but this is an issue that should be fixed by a plumber sooner, rather than later.
There are a few common reasons your faucet might be leaking.
- Corroded valve seat. The metal part inside the valve housing, which connects the faucet and the spout, can be corroded or bent and cause your faucet to leak. If you’re comfortable with doing some plumbing work on your own, check out these step-by-step instructions for replacing the valve seat.
- Mineral deposit on internal parts. Over time, calcium and other minerals can build up, causing blockages and keeping internal parts from operating properly. Consider investing in a water softener to prevent this from happening.
- Defective o-rings, gaskets, or washers. These parts will wear out over time and will need to be replaced. The rubber washer, for instance, rubs against the valve seat and is under constant friction.
Less common causes of leaking faucets can include:
- Broken pipe fittings or broken pipes. Cracked pipes and pipe fittings can increase water pressure and create leaks.
- Improper installation. If your faucet is fairly new, there may be an installation issue. The washer could even be the wrong size. If that’s the case, we recommend hiring a local plumber to take care of the leak.
- Old faucet. Nothing lasts forever. Not your iPhone, not your faucet. Eventually, it’s time to replace the old with the new.
Do-it-Yourself vs. Kansas City Plumber
A leaky faucet can seem like a simple problem. But the truth is, that leaky faucet is connected to your home’s entire plumbing system. A simple mistake can turn into a costly disaster. That’s why we recommend seeking out a professional, experienced plumber; they’ll not only fix the faucet, but make sure there aren’t any other hidden issues causing the leak.
Prevent Plumbing Disasters
A leaking faucet can cost hundreds if ignored and lead to expensive plumbing repairs. A leaky faucet could be a sign of other serious internal problems that should be handled by an experienced plumber. Contact Hamilton Plumbing, Heating, A/C, Rooter for a free inspection and expert service.
Last Updated: August 24, 2023